Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Keep (TerriLynn)



I won't post the publishers description as others have done that. This is one of those books that I don't know if I can say I really enjoyed but I don't necessarily regret reading. A multi-layered story that involves Danny, a wayward glam punk techno addicted slacker who is summoned by his long lost cousin Howie to help him renovate a hotel deep in a remote forest somewhere in Eastern Europe. Indeed, it's the perfect setting for a horror story, however the only ghost that haunts the pages is the memory of a cruel childhood prank that left one cousin traumatized for years and the other wracked with guilt. The novel is also a story within a story and this is where it didn't exactly work for me. I understand what Egan was trying to do but I couldn't help but think it could have been done more smoothly.

No comments: