Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mandy: Introduction, Reading to Date and Goals.

Hello everyone. I’ve always followed the Orange Prize quite religiously and so, when I stumbled upon this blog, I couldn’t resist joining up.
I intend to take part in Orange January and Orange July and also read many more listed books throughout the year. I have plenty of unread short and long listed books on my shelf, so, for January, I intend to try to read what I already own, rather than buy any more books. After reading some of the reviews on this blog, I can tell I’m going to fail this task miserably!
I will be treating long listed/short listed/new writers and winning books in the same way. If the book appeals to me I’ll be reading it, whatever category it falls in to. I’m ashamed to say, I’ve read none of the new writers. I intend to change this.
Here is a list of the books I’ve already read;

2007
Half of a Yellow Sun, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

2006
On Beauty, by Zadie Smith
Beyond Black, by Hilary Mantel
The Accidental, by Ali SmithThe Night Watch, by Sarah Waters

2005
The Remedy, by Michele Lovric

2004
Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood
Brick Lane, by Monica Ali
Kith and Kin, by Stevie Davies

2003
Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold

2002
Fingersmith, by Sarah Waters

2000
Girl With A Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier

1997
Anita and Me, by Meera Syal

1996
The Ghost Road, by Pat Barker

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome Mandy!
My Orange list is very similar to yours! I look forward to comparing notes on Orange books with you in the future!
Jackie

Wendy said...

Welcome to the group, Mandy. It is good to have you here :)